Getting into a car accident is always a shocking experience. When our adrenaline spikes, we sometimes forget proper protocol. Here are our tips and steps to take after experiencing a minor car accident:
1. Stay calm. The first step is to take a deep breath and check for injuries. When in doubt, call an ambulence.
2. Pull off to a safe area on the side of the road or freeway and make sure your hazard lights are on.
3. Call 911. Even if the accident is minor, it is a good idea to get an officer to the site for a police report while the details are fresh in your mind. It also helps if there are any causes for traffic delays.
4. Take down the important information such as license plate number, names, phone numbers, and insurance info of all involved. Also take photos or video footage.
5. Look for witnesses as they will be of great help and aid to the insurance companies.
6. Contact your insurance agency to start the process of filing your claim.